Environmental Education Associate
Update on Sep 6, 2017: This position is now filled. Thank you for your interest.
The Environmental Education Associate position is located at the Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge Environmental Education Center in Alviso, CA. The Environmental Education Center provides free programs to schools and the public, while teaching about the local wildlife, conservation, and how to help the environment. The Living Wetlands program is designed to teach about wetlands and the properties of wetlands including watersheds and water conservation. We need a highly motivated individual who has an interest in education and visitor services and will assist in educating, planning, and developing the Living Wetlands program.
The Environmental Education Associate will be a part-time employee for the San Francisco Bay Wildlife Society (SFBWS), a non-profit friends group to the Refuge. The primary mission of SFBWS is to promote public awareness and appreciation of the San Francisco Bay and its natural history, and to conserve and preserve the remaining Bay lands as essential wildlife habitat.
- Assist in field trip programs on and off Refuge grounds: 50%
- Assist with office work and coordination of events and field trips, communicate with educators and perform equipment maintenance: 25%
- Develop education curriculum for on/off site use: 10%
- Greet visitors and provide refuge information:15%
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Experience working with people, especially children
- Comfortable speaking to the public
- Upper division college standing or above
- Organizational skills
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Background in environmental education, interpretation, recreation, wildlife biology environmental studies, or other related sciences
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs
- First aid/CPR certification
- Willingness to learn
- A strong interest in the natural world
Must be available 2 weekdays (Monday through Friday) for a total of 16 hours per week, and occasional weekends (specifically October 21st 2017). The position is for a term of 9 months, and begins in September.
Salary - $13 per hour.
You will be working as a part-time employee for the SFBWS, a non-profit friends group to the Refuge. The primary mission of SFBWS is to promote public awareness and appreciation of the San Francisco Bay and its natural history, and to conserve and preserve the remaining Bay lands as essential wildlife habitat.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Colter Cook, Living Wetlands Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify that you are interested in the Environmental Education Associate position.
Position open until filled.