Environmental Outreach Associate
Update on Sep 6, 2017: This position is now filled. Thank you for your interest.
The Environmental Outreach Associate position is located at the Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge Environmental Education Center in Alviso, CA. The Environmental Education Center provides free programs to schools and the public, while teaching about the local wildlife, conservation, and how to help the environment. The Living Wetlands program is designed to teach about wetlands and the properties of wetlands including watersheds and water conservation. We need a highly motivated individual who has an interest in education and visitor services and will assist in educating, planning, and developing the Living Wetlands program.
The Environmental Outreach Associate will be a part-time employee for the San Francisco Bay Wildlife Society (SFBWS), a non-profit friends group to the Refuge. The primary mission of SFBWS is to promote public awareness and appreciation of the San Francisco Bay and its natural history, and to conserve and preserve the remaining Bay lands as essential wildlife habitat.
- Research, develop, and market the Living Wetlands program to new audiences, within a specific geographic area: 40%
- Assist in field trip programs on and off Refuge grounds, attend outreach events: 30%
- Assist with office work and coordination of events and field trips, communicate with educators and perform equipment maintenance: 20%
- Greet visitors and provide refuge information:10%
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Experience working with people, especially children
- Comfortable speaking to the public
- Upper division college standing or above
- Organizational skills
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Background in environmental education, interpretation, recreation, wildlife biology environmental studies, or other related sciences
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs
- First aid/CPR certification
- Willingness to learn
- A strong interest in the natural world
Must be available 2 days (Saturday and 1 weekday) for a total of 16 hours per week. The position is for a term of 9 months, and begins the first week of September.
Salary - $13 per hour.
You will be working as a part-time employee for the SFBWS, a non-profit friends group to the Refuge. The primary mission of SFBWS is to promote public awareness and appreciation of the San Francisco Bay and its natural history, and to conserve and preserve the remaining Bay lands as essential wildlife habitat.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Colter Cook, Living Wetlands Program Coordinator, at email@example.com. Please specify that you are interested in the Environmental Outreach Associate position.
Position open until filled.