Biological Field Technician
LocationDon Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge, Fremont, CA
General DescriptionOne part-time (30 hours/week) biological field technician is needed to assist the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at the Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge for a temporary position, expected to be from mid-February through September, 2020. Primary duty station is Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge, but technician may also provide support to other refuges within the Complex- website: http://www.fws.gov/sfbayrefuges/
ResponsibilitiesThis biological field technician position will provide diverse biological field experience and professional development opportunities, including: avian predator surveys, non-native vegetation removal including herbicide application, water quality monitoring in ponds managed for waterfowl and shorebirds, bird nest success monitoring, endangered plant and animal surveys, data entry, and report preparation. Technician will conduct some duties independently, but may work as part of a team to complete other duties. Duties may include early morning/late evening surveys, occasional weekend work, working with staff and volunteers, and supply and equipment inventories or preparation.
- Valid driver’s license
- Comfortable driving long hours in heavy traffic and operating a 4-wheel drive SUV or truck
- Bachelor’s degree or near completion
- Ornithology class or experience with conducting bird surveys
- General knowledge of biological data gathering and techniques
- Wildlife observation and basic plant identification skills
- Ability to use varied equipment, vehicles, and tools to complete field work
- Ability to perform physical labor that requires extended periods of bending, kneeling, walking on muddy and unstable terrain while pulling and spraying invasive plants
- Ability to work independently and in team situations
- Basic computer experience, including word processing and data entry
- Background check
- Work-issued vehicle may only be used during official work hours and for work-related duties as directed by supervisor.
- Personal vehicle is highly recommended for non-work hours, as the station is not close to public transportation access.
Pay Rate - $22.00 per hour.
Please email the following to Rachel_Tertes@fws.gov with SUBJECT: Biological Field Technician: 1) cover letter highlighting field experience, 2) resume with three references (with email contact information), and 3) unofficial transcripts.
Please submit files in the following format: first name_last name_resume/transcript/letter/etc.
Deadline for application is: Feb. 6, 2020. Earlier applications are encouraged. Deadline may be extended, if needed.